Author Topic: Service: Zenith XL-Tronic cal. 50.0 (ESA 9162)  (Read 2121 times)

kanikune

• Administrator
Service: Zenith XL-Tronic cal. 50.0 (ESA 9162)
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:03:05 PM »
One of my owns. I got this tuning fork in working condition, but the gold plated crown stripped all the remaining plating off, crystal was scratched and the movement was dirty.

Fullwind to disassembly.

First the regular parts were cleaned in regular cleaning cycle.

And the base plate was assembled. Here the keyless works are getting together. I must say this mechanism is simple but changes date fast. Yoke spring is little bit different from usual.

Keyless works ready.

Other side is quite simple at this point, too. On the centre is the wheel for second hand. The plastic gives drag for the wheel and keeps it in place when the crown is pulled to time setting. I didn't notice to take picture of the train bridge but I'll come back to that soon.

Remaining wheels on the dial side. Date click is still missing from the left side of the date driving wheel.

Date ring back. Date click is attached "permanently" to date cover.

Because of the modularity, Dial and hands can be assembled now and the watch can be cased. New nylon gasket and crystal are in place and new Zenith crown tops it up.

This is how the movement looks in the case at this point. Notice the train bridge is there now.

Tuning fork parts are very delicate and I cleaned them in fresh fluids in ultra sonic.Here the clean tuning forks is attached to the top plate. Only index wheel and 2nd wheel are under the "first train bridge". 2nd wheel connects to the previously assembled base plate and drives the 3rd wheel which is in the centre. Other finger is of course in the tuning fork and the other one is attached to the brass colored plate visible "at 6". That is normally easily adjusted as screw adjusts the tightness and position of the finger.

This is quite simple as after adding the two-piece circuit the unit is ready.

Assembled in the case. Initially the watch runs way too fast, but after adjusting the "finger tightness" the watch starts to keep good time.

Maybe black leather suits this watch.

Who.Me?

Re: Service: Zenith XL-Tronic cal. 50.0 (ESA 9162)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »
Hi

Which crystal did you use on your Xl-tronic case? I've several ESA-based tuning fork watches, but I've been unable to find a crystal to fit my Xl-tronic.

Thanks

Andy

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:37:57 PM »
There is both mineral and sapphire crystal available.

Who.Me?

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
Thanks for replying.

Do you know the specification or part number for the crystal?

Andy

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:49 PM »
Yes, I try to record all the key measurements from the services.
The crystal dimension is 290 x 2.4.
Nylon L 300 x 289.

Who.Me?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
Thank you.  :)