Author Topic: Rolex restore?  (Read 6952 times)

albin

Re: Rolex restore?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
Good morning. 90 degrees to HS or wheel?
An intelligent man is someone who is smart enough to remember what a wise man once said.

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
Stud points up, when HS is horizontal, when looking from the side.

albin

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 04:45:23 PM »
It's my ability to make it 90 degrees? Been trying this morning. Might be better to attach it to the bridge then to the HS. That way I will have 2 larger pieces to manipulate. Very tough for me so far.The HS sitting on putty on the mic platform & using tweezers to attach@#$%^&*(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:48:34 PM by albin »
An intelligent man is someone who is smart enough to remember what a wise man once said.

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 05:33:38 PM »
By 90 degrees I mean, try to get the stud upright, so that its not tilted when ready. Don't bent anything

albin

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 08:52:10 PM »
I know what you mean but so far it's beyond me. Thanks
Should I try when using the mic?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:57:51 PM by albin »

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:52 PM »
I guess it's matter of getting familiar with something. I couldn't imagine doing that kind of task through microscope. I'm much more familiar by using 12x loupe for a this kind of task. But that just me.

albin

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »
Thanks I will try 5x(3x glasses through 2x magnify light) 10x or 22x
Holly Cow! That white stuff thought to be epoxy is "soft"
Do you think that by cleaning with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
it softened the glue?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:46:27 AM by albin »

albin

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 11:19:08 AM »
Holly Cow! That white stuff thought to be epoxy is "soft"
Do you think that by cleaning with ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
it softened the glue? Looks like a hole filled with a white compound.
hole #1 original image
Oh my I lost the little bugger! Out of business now!
As soon as the HS came loose, I knew I would eventually
need the whole HS assembly.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 07:29:54 PM by albin »

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 08:37:53 PM »
I don't know if that adhesive is even original Rolex. Maybe someone fixed with that before. I don't know.
The complete balance assebly is your best choice at the moment, as there are fresh pivots and true HS. It's just a bit costly.

albin

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2014, 09:31:59 PM »
It's my understanding that even if I attached it etc, never would get it to run right. I know its
costly.....my bridge is so scratched I hate to do just the balance HS.
Update: a good man emailed and said he has an old HS with the stud he will look for it this weekend and send it gratis. Hope so. Then We will see.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:09:28 PM by albin »

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
That sounds good. Did you by any chance check the pivots of the balance?

Taking out the HS from the balance is not easy task either. I recommend blue oiler and stake, where you place and hold the balance. You place the blue oiler in the slot of the HS collet and carefully twist and lift. Oiler is kept upright all the time. This needs to be repeated several times, but eventually it will come out.

Pushing the collet back is somewhat easier, but care need to be practiced to protect pivots and roller pin all the time.

albin

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2014, 11:14:59 PM »
The pivots look ok...but what do I know?

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »
We'll see when it's up & running. Hopefully it's good.

albin

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00:38 AM »
Your mouth to Gods ears my friend.
I found this post on the rolex forum
The 3035 movement has some unique characteristics even though the movement is robust and well made.
The main quirks with it are a tendency for the manual winding to feel rough at times. In earlier movements the date could sometimes jump a little too far or out of line and if it received a heavy blow it was possible for the automatic bridge to shift slightly out of upright and reduce the efficency of the auto work.
All of these things were easily corrected with modifications of the calander wheel and to the external diameter of one of the winding wheels or adjustments when serviced.
The main quirk is as has been suggested the balance. The hairspring in the 3035 is glued to the into the stud (which is used to secure it to the balance cock) It is sometimes possible for this glue to go off and for the hairspring to become loose in the stud. This causes the watch to loose heavily. For a long time these faulty balances were exchanged free of charge, but as the movements became older and as production reached it`s end this stopped. Now if a balance needs to be replaced it would be charged for. It is possible however to re-glue (we use araldite) the hairspring (this is something we have done as standard practice since I started working for Rolex) it cures the problem and is more cost effictive. I don`t know if this is done by other RSC`s the world over.
It`s a good movement and one I always look foreward to working on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:30:52 PM by albin »

albin

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »
The pivots look ok...but what do I know?
I received the free bee stud but its triangular...