Author Topic: Service: Omega Seamaster Quartz cal 1342.  (Read 10423 times)

kanikune

• Administrator
Service: Omega Seamaster Quartz cal 1342.
« on: December 14, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »
Quartz watches need occasional love too. This watch does not run even though there's new battery inside. Outside the watch is in good condition.

The fault should be spotted during disassembly.

Push button return spring is solid this time - good! All the bearing surfaces are all dry. Wonder if this has ever been serviced?

All dried up, indeed.

This seems to be later, improved version of the previous 1342 I serviced. The circuit seems to have upgrade in it. Also the stepper motor has new design, which protects the wheel better.

Parts go through cleaning cycle.

After cleaning I start from the dial side. Before cleaning the clutch wheel with magnets had some dirt in it, but that's nothing Rodico can handle.

On the dial side everything ready for the dial.

Stepper motor ready.

Circuit board, wheel and the wheel bridge back on. Now for the testing..

Omega started to tick again. All was needed was thorough cleaning and proper oils in proper locations.

Very nice Omega indeed. Gold as a dominant theme with Omega buckle fits very well with black leather. True classic. Nice detail is a black thin part of the second hand.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 02:41:48 PM by kanikune »

Lars_london

Re: Service: Omega Seamaster Quartz cal 1342.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
Very good post :-)
As per my other post, I just picked up one of these (This is my first restoration project!)
When picked up, it didn't work at all although there was a battery in it.
I removed the movement from case and with help of tooth pick, pushed the seconds hand gently.
After a few attempts, it started moving although ticking 1 second back and forth. A bit more help and it started moving normally.
I let it run for about 7hrs but it lost about 1h40 along the way.
Also, trying to set the time, the hours and date worked fine but when trying to set minutes by pushing crown, the seconds got stuck after a few rounds. A single push on crown got it moving again but whenever trying to set minutes, the seconds hand gets stuck.
Any ideas what i should look for in particular?
Many thanks

Lars

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 02:22:47 PM »
Sounds like safes bet is to disassemble and service the whole movement.

If you look at my initial post, on the 3rd pic, at 6 o'clock on the movement there is small pointy spring. It can be cracked. This returns the crown in normal position after pushing for minute adjustment (and opens circuit). If this spring has cracked, control circuit might be closed all the time causing weird behavior.

Have you removed the hands & dial?

the circuit has trimmer capacitor. It is quite delicate part and I have a feeling that if pushed too much with screw driver, the strcture might suffer and capacitance might drift. This is something I've had in my shoud do list for some time.

Lars_london

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
Hi, sorry for late reply.
Thanks a lot for that useful info.
Yes i didn't want to push too much so i've removed the battery until i dismantle the watch/movement.
I'll try and have a go at the week end. Haven't removed hands and dial as yet, just the stem and couple of screws that hold the movement in the case.
Also, I haven't got a cleaning machine. Some people mentioned that parts could be cleaned in lighter fluid (like zippo).
Any advice? Should I buy a cleaning machine? (saw they can go for as little as £20 on ebay but never used one)
Thanks

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 11:40:55 PM »
Yes, parts can be cleaned using lighter fluid. Not recommended to be used in ultrasonics though.
If you are going to clean more watches than this one, you might want to buy cleaning machine. I started with lighter fluid and now I have automatic cleaning machine, agitation based, no ultrasonic and I feel that is sufficient for me.

Most common cleaning machine type is 3 jar system. If you have electrical skills, these are pretty easy to fix, if fix is needed. I would check that all the baskets come along and the jars are intact with lids. At least Elma jars are still available as new.
Old cleaning machines have cleaning basket with only 4 compartments. I have Elma (seen also in this project) and the basket unit has 11 compartments and can take 4 mesh baskets in, which enables to clean most chronographs at once and parts stay in order.

Lars_london

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 04:50:32 PM »
Hi there, you won't believe it but still haven't made any progress on this! To be fair, left it parked for a few month…
So finally took it apart completely at the week end. Observed all wheels with magnifier and can't see any obvious damaged parts or dirt.
Brushed wheels with soft toothbrush.
Put it back together. few questions (apologies if they are stupid!):

The step rotor moves back and forth. Is it the way its supposed to work or should it move only in one direction in regular increments?
Still, it doesn't seem to move the other wheels (sweep second and reductions I believe)

Also, one part felt, which I can't locate where it came from… It is a small chrome cylinder, with a little groove right in the middle. I believe it was on the electronic board side.

Thanks
Laurent

kanikune

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 01:14:45 AM »
hi,
there are 2 quite identical looking transmission wheels after stepper motor. Do these twitch at all?
Other wheel's pinion drives the rest of the system so check these are not mixed.

Stepper should advance only to one direction. If it twitches, there is something wrong in the stepper unit. The stepper motor's axle can be lifted up from the motor. Only magnets are dragging it down.
Axle might be dirty. Careful on that one. Those steppers are getting quite difficult to find.

Can't figure what that chrome cylinder is.

JohnWick7

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
Should fade in the same way if there is a malfunction.